Thank you for making a contribution to the TransBank Service!
By submitting Content to the TransBank Service you do not transfer any rights; instead, the rights remain with their rightful owners. In order to make the functioning of the TransBank Service lawful and smooth, the TransBank Team needs to ask you to accept this Contributor Agreement. By doing so, you clarify the legal status of the Content and specify the conditions under which it can be re-used.
Please read this Agreement carefully before you submit Content to the TransBank Service.
Content means the textual data you submit to the Service. Content consists of Source Text and Translated Text;
Service means the TransBank Service;
Service Provider is
TransBank – A Meta-Corpus for Translation Research
Department of Translation Studies
University of Innsbruck
A-6020 Innsbruck | Austria
Source Text means the textual data that are translated in the Translated Text;
Translated Text means the textual data in which the Source Text is translated.
You accept this Agreement in order to be able to submit the Content to the Service.
3. Intellectual Property Rights in Source Text
You make Source Text available under the TransBank User License (Annex 1) and grant the Service Provider a worldwide, royalty free, transferable, sublicensable, irrevocable license to:
- reproduce Source Text, communicate Source Text to the public and make Source Text available to the public (when Source Text is protected by copyright or related rights),
- extract and re-utilise all or substantial parts of Source Text (when Source Text is protected by the sui generis database right),
- make necessary technical modifications to Source Text
in connection with the provision of the Service.
4. Intellectual Property Rights in Translated Text
You make Translated Text available under the TransBank User License (Annex 1) and grant the Service Provider a worldwide, royalty free, transferable, sublicensable, irrevocable license to:
- reproduce Translated Text, communicate Translated Text to the public and make Translated Text available to the public (when Translated Text is protected by copyright or related rights),
- extract and re-utilise all or substantial parts of Translated Text (when Translated Text is protected by the sui generis database right),
- make necessary technical modifications to Translated Text
in connection with the provision of the Service.
5. Metadata; Consent to Processing of Personal Data
During the process of submitting Content to the Service you are invited to submit certain information (Metadata). Part of this information relates to your personal situation. You acknowledge that you are not obliged to submit this information – you can still submit the Content without this information.
You warrant that:
- you hold all intellectual property rights necessary to conclude this Agreement and submit the Content to the Service OR you have obtained necessary authorisations to conclude this Agreement and submit the Content to the Service OR the Content is in the public domain;
- you have the necessary authority to submit the Content to the Service (if you do this on behalf of a legal entity, e.g. university or publishing house);
- the Content is not defamatory or otherwise unlawful;
- your submission of the Content does not infringe any laws or violate any legal or contractual obligations;
- the Content contains no personal data and/or has been anonymised using appropriate measures.
You agree to indemnify and protect the Service Provider against all claims, damages, legal fees and other expenses arising from your submission of the Content.
Annex 1: TransBank User License 1.0
The TransBank User License was developed in order to meet the needs of the TransBank community while protecting the rights of authors and translators. All the exclusive rights in the licensed material remain with the rightholders, but every user of the TransBank Service is allowed to:
- download the licensed material;
- translate and share the translations of the licensed material;
- add Licensed Material to a translation memory (TMX file) or a translation-related corpus;
- share snippets (no longer than three consecutive sentences) of the licensed material, providing that the total length of shared snippets does not exceed 10% of the total number of words in the Licensed Material.
It is important to keep in mind that this License (like Creative Commons licenses, but unlike most proprietary licenses) expressly does not override copyright exceptions. This means that if your use is covered by a copyright exception (e.g. research and teaching exception), there is nothing in this license that limits the benefit of this exception for you.
In order to make the licensing process as simple and efficient as possible, the license covers not only copyright, but also related rights such as the sui generis database right and even the exclusive right in scientific and critical editions (which exists in certain countries).
This Explanatory Notice is not intended to have any legal effect, but is only meant to provide a brief summary of the license terms. You should read the terms of the license carefully.
Licensed Material means textual data to which the Licensor applied this License;
Licensed Rights are (where applicable) copyright and/or the sui generis database right and/or the exclusive right in scientific and critical editions;
Licensor means the individual(s) or entity(ies) granting rights under this License;
Reproduce means to create permanent or temporary copies by any means and in any form;
- communicate to the public by any means OR
- make available to the public (e.g. online) OR
- distribute to the public by sale, rental or otherwise;
Snippets mean parts of Licensed Material no longer than three consecutive sentences (i.e. units of written text delimited by upper case letters and one of the following markers: . , ! , ?); a longer string of text (e.g. a whole page or chapter) cannot be regarded as a Snippet.
Translation means translation from one natural or constructed language to another. Other adaptations shall not be concerned;
Translation Purposes include:
- compiling and enriching translation-related language resources (such as corpora or translation memories);
- developing, enriching and training language technology (e.g. language or translation models);
- making Translations;
You means the user of the TransBank Service who exercises the rights granted to him in this License.
You accept this License by performing one of the acts that you are authorized to perform under section 3 of this License.
Licensor grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, non-exclusive, irrevocable license to
- Reproduce Licensed Material in whole or in part exclusively for Translation Purposes;
- make and Share Translations of Licensed Material or its parts, providing that the source (including the author’s name) is indicated;
- Share Snippets of Licensed Material, providing that:
- the source (including the author’s name) is indicated, unless this is not reasonably possible AND
- the total length of Snippets does not exceed 10% of the total number of words in the Licensed Material.
4. Ownership of Licensed Rights
You acquire no ownership of Licensed Rights in the Licensed Material.
5. Relation with Statutory Exceptions
Where statutory exceptions or limitations of Licensed Rights (such as fair use or copyright exceptions) apply to Your use, this License does not apply.
6. Duration and termination
This License applies for the whole term of Licensed Rights. However, if You fail to comply with this License, Your rights under this License terminate automatically.
7. Disclaimer of Warranties
Licensed Material is provided “as is”. Licensor does not make any express or implied warranties regarding its satisfactory quality, accuracy, fitness for a particular purpose, compatibility or security.
You have no right or authority to incur, assume or create, in writing or otherwise, any warranty, express or implied, in the name of or on behalf of Licensor.
The University of Innsbruck is not a party to this License.